Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Why Roger Ebert Sucks Rant

Because he is a Hollywood corporate whore-bag.
I recently joined netflix, which I love so far. The only bad part I can find is seeing all of the "Roger Ebert recommends" picks. I had been generally unimpressed with his picks (he said Daredevil was "actually pretty good" and gave it four stars) but then I ran across his review of Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. He described it as "a world more complex, more visionary and more entertaining than the first two" and also "not only the best of the three Mad Max movies, but one of the best films of 1985". Don't get me wrong, I like Mad Max III a lot too, but to call it better than Road Warrior is one stupid pick too many. Road Warrior for those of you who don't know is one of the greatest action movies ever made. Not only does it offer some of the best action ever on screen (the chase scene in the tanker truck gets my vote for best chase ever, even better than Bulitt), it also creates the world of the third one. The third movie, although good and entertaining, is kind of a Hollywood remake of the second movie. Everything is done bigger and flashier but it loses the hard gritty edge that Road Warrior possesses. That is why I think Roger Ebert is a Hollywood prostitute.
Its true that some may think that my hatred of Ebert goes deeper than shitty reviews. When I was growing up my father was a movie critic for a local TV station (I'm sure most people bored enough to read this know that already because they know who I am). When I would tell people what my father did they would invariably ask "Is he Ebert?" or even better "which one is the fat one, is he the fat one?" because I was and continue to be of robust stature. Despite this backhanded poke at my love of cheeseburgers and its effect upon my midsection as a youngster I liked Ebert better than his now deceased partner in fame Siskel. Ebert seemed nice and liked more movies than Siskel did. Now I realize the folly of my ways, and regret weasily Siskel's passing because now we are left with an unchecked Ebert and his toady Richard Roper, neither of whom really deserve to review Vern Fonk commercials let alone feature films.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home